Weight Loss MMS
If you are ready to get started simply call or email to set up an appointment (appropriate link/info).
Before you can make an appointment you must
Be motivated to change your behavior and thinking.
Be age 18 or older.
Not be pregnant or nursing.
Have a BMI of 25 or higher. (Click here to calculate your BMI)
Have a primary care provider who supports your efforts.
You are a great candidate if you:
- Are motivated to change your behavior and thinking.
Returning to the things that have already been unsuccessful will not work. You must be ready to make lasting changes in the way you think and behave.
- Are age 18 or older.
- Are not pregnant or nursing.
- Have a primary care provider who supports your efforts.
Call us today at (970) 980-6024 to talk with one of our medical assistants and to schedule an appointment
Many common medical conditions cause serious harm and are improved dramatically with only minimal weight loss. Some common examples include:
- High Cholesterol / High Triglycerides / Low HDL Cholesterol / Hyperlipidemia
- High Blood Pressure / Hypertension
- Sleep Apnea / Excessive Sleepiness
- Fatty Liver / Steatohepatitis
- Osteoarthritis and Back Pain
- Heartburn / Acid Reflux / GERD
- Desire for future pregnancy
Pregnancy related issues deserve specific mention. The desire for future pregnancy is an important reason to consider weight loss. During pregnancy and breast feeding we do not promote weight loss so plan ahead and lose weight before getting pregnant. These are some reasons why:
Problems for Overweight Mothers:
- Gestational Diabetes risk is up to 20 times higher.
- High Blood Pressure / Pre-eclampsia risk is up to 10 times higher.
- C-section delivery is up to 3 times more likely.
- Hospital stay averages 4 days longer for mom at delivery.
- Cost of prenatal care and delivery is significantly higher.
Problems for Babies of Overweight Moms:
- Major birth defects are 35% more likely - the greatest risk is for neural tube defects. They are 3 times more likely.
- Intensive Care Unit stay for the newborn is 3 times more likely.
- Death of the fetus or newborn is 3 times more likely.
Many other medical conditions are associated with being overweight or obese. These include:
- Heart Disease / Coronary Artery Disease
- Diabetes Mellitus type II / Pre-Diabetes / Impaired glucose
- High Blood Pressure / Hypertension High Cholesterol / Hyperlipidemia
- Sleep Apnea / Daytime Sleepiness
- Kidney Disease
- Cancer of the Breast, Esophagus, Stomach, Colon, Endometrium, and Kidney
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Ob-Gyn complications / Infertility
- Neural Tube Defects in infants
- Chronic Venous Insufficiency Deep Vein Thrombosis
- Gallbladder Disease
- Wound Infection
- Impaired Immunity
- Liver Disease
- Low Back Pain
- Surgical Complications
- Urinary Stress Incontinence
Medical weight management is an excellent tool to improve health. It is not the only tool. Surgical procedures are locally available to promote weight loss. Surgery can be helpful for carefully selected individuals. We discuss surgical and non-surgical options with patients. At Medical Metabolic Specialists we do not perform surgery and are not affiliated with the local bariatric surgeons. We do refer appropriate patients to discuss their surgical options. If you are primarily interested in surgery consider pvhs.org as a resource.